「所有人只注意到蝴蝶,沒有人替蛹鼓掌」
又到了畢業的季節,想要跟大家分享菲律賓聖拉薩大學畢業生Tricia Ann Anda的致詞。
畢業生致詞代表,應該是人生勝利組吧!但她以『蛹』作為主題,在這個最能彰顯自身豐功偉業的場合,把致詞的主角,獻給了沒有辦法上台,因為生活、必須要半工半讀才能完成學業的同學們。
她說「很多人待在蛹裡,並不是躲藏、也不是軟弱」,是因為他們還在沈潛練功,也或者周圍的人,從來沒有人告訴他們,人生可以不只是這樣。
我特別喜歡她講的這幾個字『stillness of becoming』,一時半刻找不到很好的中文來表達,姑且直譯成『靜止的蛻變』吧。
在漫漫的人生長路中努力了這麼久,進展似乎一成不變,今天跟昨天差不多,明天也看不見新希望。
但,蛻變的過程,往往是細微、混亂、甚至毫不起眼的。堅持下去,每天進步一點點。哪怕只有一點點,終有一天,你的枝芽或翅膀,就會在那裂縫處展開。
下面這段改寫,和破繭而出的你分享。
.
.
Faculty, staff, parents, guests and fellow graduates of the Class of 2025… a pleasant afternoon.
教職員工、家長、嘉賓,以及 2025 年畢業班的同學們——午安。
In third grade, I wrote 'Class Valedictorian' in my Barbie yearbook—just because it sounded pretty.
三年級時,我在我的芭比紀念冊上寫下「畢業生致詞代表」這個夢想—因為聽起來很響亮。
And 14 years, tears, and fears later….Here we are—at the USLS Coliseum.
而在十四年的淚水與恐懼之後,我站在這裡—USLS 體育館。
Let me ask you something: What if the person most deserving of this medal… never got one?
我想藉這個機會問問大家,如果那個最值得這枚獎牌的人,從未有人頒獎給他呢?
If I could remove this medal from my neck and give it to someone else… I would.
如果我可以把這枚獎牌從脖子上摘下,交給另一個人—我會的。
I would hand it to my classmate who worked online jobs and part-time shifts between classes,
我會把它交給那位一邊上課、一邊兼差、做線上工作的同學
some with cracked phones, borrowed laptops, selling food, art, anything—just to make ends meet.
有的用著破手機、借來的筆電,販售食物、畫作、任何東西,只為了平衡收支。
To the ones who caught jeeps at dawn, who walked under the heat or in the rain, who paid their own tuition—because no one else could.
榮耀屬於那些清晨就搭著吉普車趕來學校、風雨無阻的學生,甚至還得自己繳學費,因為家裡沒人能資助。
To the one who studied through tears, who cried in silence, but still made it to class with a smile.
他們在無人時默默流淚,一邊哭還是不忘繼續學,然後笑笑的來上課。
To those who showed up with tired eyes, but hearts that refused to quit.
他們有著疲憊的雙眼,卻也有永不放棄的心。
If I may be honest with all of you… I lived comfortably my whole life.
坦白說——我這一生都過得很舒適。
I didn’t have to juggle work between classes just to pay enrollment.
我不用半工半讀為了下學期的學費操心
From pre-school to 4th year college, I was driven to school.
從幼稚園到大學都有人接送
My meals were served, my uniforms ironed.
飯來張口,制服筆挺
All I had to do was show up.
我要做的,就是「到校」而已。
Their strength humbled me.
他們的堅毅讓我相形渺小
And that’s when I understood what a chrysalis is.
而此時我才真正明白了什麼是「蛹」。
The chrysalis wasn’t a place of hiding, but of becoming.
在「蛹」裡的你並不是躲藏,而是蛻變。
The chrysalis was our training ground—quiet, messy, unseen. It’s where strength grows quietly, .
蛹就像是個練功房,安靜、混亂、毫不起眼。但能力在不知不覺中成長。
The world only notices the butterfly. No one claps for the chrysalis.
這個世界只注意蝴蝶,沒人替蛹鼓掌。
But the chrysalis carried the pain, the growth, the silent fight, and without it, we would never fly.
但其實,是蛹承受了疼痛、承載了成長、經歷了那段無聲的掙扎。沒有它,我們不可能學會飛翔。
But now, the wings are out.
如今,你羽翼豐滿
And as we fly, may we carry not just ambition, but kindness, courage, purpose, and humility.
當我們展翅時,願我們不只懷抱野心,也帶著善良、勇氣、使命與謙遜。
As we leave our chrysalis behind... Let us not just fly for ourselves—but become wings for others, too.
破繭而出後,願我們不只為自己飛,也能成為別人的翅膀。
And wherever we go from here… may we always fly toward daylight.
今後我們將各奔東西,願你我飛向光明前程。 |